Thursday, July 7, 2011

Good Writing Days

I am enjoying good writing days. I need to do some more actual writing, but with a vacation coming up I have been taking care of some business too. I do enjoy the revising process I have been working on.

Today I am reading a book by author Alicia Dean, Death Notice. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0059VTKHE I did a little reading for her on her manuscript and offered a couple of suggestions. She was so nice to include me in her acknowledgments and even incorporated a suggestion. Cool. (And I really am excited by this. I helped shape someone's book. STRESS-Just a VERY little shaping, but a little nonetheless.)

I know I will be included in some other acknowledgments later and I am excited by this too.

Today I am going to critique and I love the process. It is fun to see what other people are writing and I really do learn a lot about writing from their work. Sometimes it is something not to do or do differently or what they are doing correctly. And sometimes I learn what I am doing correctly. Or not correctly.

I have learned so much this summer about being a writer and made some great contacts. Each day I am more convinced I want to have a career in the writing world. And I am so awed in a good way and sometimes a little awestruck by all of the possibilities. And this is unfamiliar feeling for me. In my career as a teacher, you are a teacher...only a matter of what and where you teach. In the world of writing you can be a writer of fiction or nonfiction or be funny or serious or write books or articles or be an editor or an agent or...I am still learning the possibilities.

Now I am off to prepare my selection for critique review. It is a rainy,dreary day outside, but in my office I'm enjoying a little of my own personal writing sunshine.

2 comments:

  1. I am leaving a comment to check something. So while I am here. Great post, G Aliceson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post, G Aliceson :-) I just now saw this. Thanks for mentioning my book and thanks for your contribution. You were very helpful! You did an excellent job of offering a detailed evaluation and I appreciate it so much. (Send some of that rain down here to Oklahoma)

    Alicia Dean

    ReplyDelete

Hey, what did you think of what I had to say today? Leave me a comment and we'll interact a little.