Thursday, January 23, 2014

Mirror Images-Excerpt



Mirror Images -Excerpt
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrummmmmm. Ruuuuuummmm. Putt putt putt putt.
Smack!  I pitch forward and the weed trimmer went wild.
One, two, three, FOUR!   Decapitations!  A floral carnage of Mrs. Bryant’s prize-winning dahlias.
I straighten up, hit the kill switch, yank my ear plugs out by the cord, and spin around ready to do battle with whomever or whatever has shoved me forward. All I see is my identical twin brother Max sprawling on his knees before me cradling something in his hands.
“Max, what's happ…?”  I reach forward to pull him up. A streak of blood marks his cheek. I jerk him the rest of the way up. How could he get blood on his face while driving a riding lawnmower?  Blade’s on the bottom.
“Oh crud!  Max, what…” Tiny rivets of blood drip between the fingers of his cupped hands.  
I unclip the weed trimmer and toss it to the side. Probably not a good idea, since it’s an expensive investment for our lawn business. But panic does that. Frantic, I grab in the direction Max’s hands to search for the source of the blood or missing digits. He leans away.
“I’m sorry, Marty. I tripped.”
            “Where’re you hurt?”  I demand, checking behind him to see if our old riding lawnmower is still upright. It is.
            “It’s not me, Marty.”

NOW, since I am the author and in charge I could stop here and leave you wanting to know who or what it is bleeding, but that would drive you crazy, wouldn't it?

Wouldn't it?

Okay, I'll tell you.   

It's a baby bunny that Max has accidentally run over. The bunny survives.

But not all of the little girls in this town do...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, what did you think of what I had to say today? Leave me a comment and we'll interact a little.