Sunday, April 1, 2012

Naked, Indoors, Outdoors, In Bed, Out...It's all GOOD!

What I like best about the career of being a professional writer or an almost one is that you can write anywhere in any state of dress or undress. All of the options listed in the title of this blog entry are possible if you wish.

People don't often ask me why I want to write. I am complimented by the many people who don't seem surprised when I tell them I am working on having writing become a full time career. It is encouraging that nobody shrieks, "You!" Most seem think it is a good idea and then get excited for me. So I have studied what makes a great writer. And there are many important craft and business aspects to know about.

I love the many aspects of being a writer. My favorite is the actual writing portion of the career where the ideas are coming so fast your fingers fly on the keyboard and you have to stop and make yourself notes for something you want to add, but don't have time to address right then. I cannot tell you how many times I stop what I am doing in public and in class to jot down notes, because someone said something I want to use. I must not concentrate on cleaning and cooking too much either, because I often have to leave those activities too to run in and write down ideas.

But after twenty-six years of having dress up and be at work at a certain time, having some control when I write is one of my favorite things about the job. In a few minutes I am going outside to sit on my porch and listen to the birds and the neighbor's lawn mower (and hide from the huge squirrels) and edit my book. The ability to just sit anywhere and work dressed as I like is just awesome. I always joke that my goal is to be able to work in my pajamas all day. Wait, that is true and not a joke or an April Fool's prank.

FYI- If you happen to drive by, I thought you would want to know I won't be taking advantage of the naked writing option at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, what did you think of what I had to say today? Leave me a comment and we'll interact a little.