Saturday, December 8, 2012

Busy days and nights!

Where oh where have I been?
Everywhere!  So far I have not focused on being paid to be a writer and a speaker at this point, but I have jumped in with both feet to engage in activities gain experience.

Since my last post I have been to my regular critique group multiple times.   I have joined a new critique group too.  I have enjoyed meetings and holiday parties with my two writing groups MARA and HeRA.  I am making writing contacts who already are or are becoming great friends.  I helped with some contest work for one of my groups.  I have been to book signings for my writer buddies and bought and read their books and given reviews.  I have gathered books from various sources to donate to students in juvenile detention centers.  I even provided some good advice and comfort to some former students during a stressful situation.  I was happy they thought enough of me to come to me to give them guidance.

As G. Aliceson Edwards, writer, my writing is going well!  I know what to do to finish my current YA project.  I am steadily editing to my satisfaction.  I also know what my next project is going to be. I have written two audience participation skits for children.

As G. Aliceson Edwards, speaker, I have been making great strides in establishing a career in public speaking.  I have done workshops on writing at the local library.  I also have done Storytimes at the library and done multiple storytelling dates at an after school program.  I have told stories over and over at a Fall celebration, in costume, with a poke bonnet I crafted myself.

As my way to give back this holiday season, I offered my talents to go to groups and schools to do presentations for free.  I read books, tell and act out stories, have the audience participate, play instruments, and sometimes I even sing, though not on pitch.  I now have nine speaking engagements with a variety of activities and subjects over a two week period with audiences ranging in size from around a dozen to 60 and from pre-school age through high school.  I am very excited to get the opportunity to interact with people of many ages in my own community and beyond.

I am feeling good about having taken a few months to get my bearings for this new career and I have my goals in place to continue going where I want to be.

And oh yeah, I am liking life a lot right now!  Hope all of you either are enjoying yours too or thinking about the things that truly make you happy.  Go get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, what did you think of what I had to say today? Leave me a comment and we'll interact a little.