Sunday, December 19, 2010

Writing Gifts

With Christmas knocking or the door and me putting off wrapping the pile of presents now resting on my table, I am taking a minute to think about the great gifts I have found in the world of writing. The things that make me go forward toward publication.

1) In fifth grade I won second place in an essay writing contest about my mom. I would have won first I am certain if I had more examples of her church life. She was just too much of "heathen" at time to meet the religious requirement. I just couldn't overcome it, even though I ended my essay with a beautiful homage to her inspired by Jimmy J.J. Walker. I said then she was Dy-No-Mite and she still is! Take that Taio Cruz!

2) In high school I got to write features for the high school newspaper and I really like that a lot! I even won an award, but it was more for the topic. Ironic...it was about my life!

3) In college I wrote a funny piece for a publication they passed around the union. It was about coats. Strange.

4) I have written and rewritten numerous plays...breaking copyright laws along the way.

5) I met a man who encourages me to write and doesn't just give me negative experiences to write in True Confessions.

6) Then I discovered the world of blogging and discovered I could rant with the best of them. I also got to practice some travel blogging.

6) Finally, I got the nerve to go to a writing group meeting. And after talking myself into getting out of the car, I found a world I wanted to be a part of. I learned a lot, met some great people, and realized what I want to be when I grow up.

7) I have met authors I have read most of my adult life and learned to appreciate the works of new authors and friends. At National Convention I was excited to be with people who understood me and all the joy I get from literature.

8) I have had the chance to share some of what I have learned with my students and hopefully some day my name will be in the front of some of their books under the heading "I would like to thank..."

9) By letting others read my work, I have gotten see my friends and students get into something I have written. I can make them laugh. I can make them want to turn that page!

It's now time to wrap this up, so I can wrap some other things up. I hope writing continues to bring you joy this season and you appreciate the gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, what did you think of what I had to say today? Leave me a comment and we'll interact a little.