Monday, January 3, 2011

Music and the Beast

I am really writing this post, because I promised myself I would write something each day. Of course today was filled with family health crisis, endless meetings at school, planning the first day for students, grocery shopping, and spending the evening in the city for tutoring. Busy.

Now it is bed time and because I did not have time to do much walking today or go to the gym, I did the 20 minute dance it out...in the dark for the neighbors' sakes.

Tonight's topic focuses on the music that gave me the opportunity to shake my groove thing...in my case it is most assuredly groove THINGS. PLURAL!

One of my greatest treasures in life is music. They say it soothes the savage beast. I love it, so maybe I am the beast. I know my hair in the morning resembles beastly roadkill.

Isn't it great that everyone can enjoy music no matter your skills. I have little instrumental ability and am an enthusiastic but poor singer. And I am clumsy. And none of this matters to me when the music comes on. I play it, sing it, and shake it.

I just wanted to note how much music improves what I accomplish in life. I like to rock out to hip hop, fast oldies, and I have even been know to shake the van blaring some rap. I listen when driving, when doing housework, when grading, when walking or working out, and when writing. Sometimes I am conscious of what I am listening to, but more often I am moving along with the rhythm and beat as I go.

Writers love to have music on when writing. Some go a little more classical, but many don't. We all have our favorites and woe to the person who messes up your flow, because they have messed with your music.

To me music and writing are a lot alike. When you are in the zone, you don't hear the outside distractions. It's just you and your characters moving along. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes with loud crashes, or sometimes soft whispers, and sometimes with you left panting and heart pounding as you struggle through the action with your characters.

That is the true music of a writer. All the beats and rests and cadences of your story are your song. Can you hear it? I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, what did you think of what I had to say today? Leave me a comment and we'll interact a little.