Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mistakes A'Plenty

Today I am going to do two things.  Paint my bathroom and work on my book.  And I am going to do something I don't enjoy.  Make mistakes, mess up, and then work on cleaning up my messes the best I can.  In some cases I will simply do it over, move something around, or wipe it out entirely.  In painting, I am comfortable with the whole process. 

In writing, not so much.  And this has hindered me greatly.  I don't like to make mistakes in general. And those of you who know me and are now laughing. I do recognize that I make mistakes.  At times.  Having been a teacher and an English one at that, I try to edit and proofread and edit and proofread and proof what I send out some more. I have lived a life of people who take such joy in finding a typo or a mistake in spelling or grammar that an English teacher made, I just obsess over not making them. The fact that I revise and revise has been a bonus to me.  I can pretty much find the words for any message I want to send out to the world.  And they can be kind or deadly depending on my purpose.

But in actual novel writing, revision after revision after revision holds me back.  I realized this week during edits I was feeling unsuccessful, because I keep writing some scenes over and over. And over.  Then I realized there wasn't much different in the variety of scenes I was producing and the lack of forward motion was making me dislike what I was doing. I don't think rewrites will ever make me thrilled, but I can trust the process of utilizing critique partners and beta readers.  I am giving myself permission to send out something that I know is not perfect.  Oh the horror!

History truly is full of great things that happened because someone was willing to try something and make a mistake or several and then continue on.  I may not find the Americas like Christopher Columbus or invent Coke or penicillin or Post-its or even Silly Putty, but I can give myself permission to remember I am learning a new career and it is okay to make a few mistakes along the way.  Honestly, I already figured out how to make the mistakes successfully, I just need to master the acceptance and forgiveness portion of the process.

Go out and make some mistakes today.  You may be surprised by the end result of your efforts.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, what did you think of what I had to say today? Leave me a comment and we'll interact a little.