Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Magic dies!. One of my magic wishes.

I understand escapism.  That great feeling of being in another world where someone else is in charge of granting your every need is great when you are on vacation and I would be willing to pay for it.  I think everyone has those moments when we wish we had a magic wand or a Genie in a bottle to fix something or someone in our everyday lives!  Magic would be great on those days!

But I don't like the number of Paranormal books that have flooded the writing market!  I know, blasphemy.  Sorry all writers of the genre and there are a bunch of you.  And I get that you are published because of your talent and great writing too, when I am not.  But I am not a fan of the genre. Especially the number on the YA markets.

I would like to say it is due to age...48...if you must know, but I have never really been a fan of the make believe world as much as I was of a more realistic world.  And yes, I understand the definition of fiction is fake not real.  I've read through out my life, but never really cared much about talking rabbits or hobbits or magicians or aliens or lions, witches, or were anythings. And I still will get up and leave the room to keep from watching another of the numerous SciFi series my husband so carefully records.

So what have I always enjoyed?  The Box Car Children, my beloved Trixie Beldon, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Lois Duncan were a few from my youth. I concede sometimes these were not the most believable.  But remember Shawn Cassidy's dreamy hair in the tv version.

Now I read numerous genres including romance, but still prefer the ones where the people live in "real" places and make "normal" amounts of money.  I sometimes question how all of those ex-Special Forces, Seals, and secret commandos have time for all these romances, but I still like it better when they choose to change their lives, than when someone morphs into a leaf or vicious badger or something.  Don't judge. You know somebody thought of using a badger at some point.

I just wish there were more books and the top lists had more representatives of more realistic people using their intelligence and skills to change and better their lives.  I think that is a much better thing for kids to pin their hopes on than being hopeful that something or someone is suddenly going to make their world perfect.  I am of the belief that hard work does that and that is a concept that seems to be skipping some people.  Popular series of a more realistic type do exist and YA readers are reading them, but I hope for the sake of the not-so-magic-believers, more are coming.  Realists need fiction too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, what did you think of what I had to say today? Leave me a comment and we'll interact a little.