Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Doing the Next Best Thing

It's one of those days in writer world.  Frustrating.  I am not patient when it comes to establishing a new career as a writer and a speaker.  I want to be perfect at it.  And I am not. 

Of course I wasn't perfect in my last career as a teacher either, but I had been doing it for so long and with enough identifiable successes I felt more secure that I was being successful and offering something to the world. I remember being upset when I was unable to help a student whose home life offered numerous challenges.  Someone said to me, "You can't save them all."  And as much as it killed me to admit, they were right.  I couldn't.  But I could and did try to do the little I could.  I didn't change their worlds overall, but I was able to help them a little.

I am not that point of confidence as a writer and speaker. This world is still a difficult place for me to feel as if I am making measurable headway. Some days I feel like I am floating, untethered and woefully unsure that I will ever offer a contribution worthy of anyone's time or up to the quality of what I want to do.  Overwhelmed, isn't just a word around here.  Yes, I know doubt is something all writers share, as do people in general, but it isn't fun.

Today I ran across a short article about approaching life. Basically the message was nice way to say, "Eat an elephant one bite at a time."  I have heard this before.  But I needed the reminder.  This version was, "Don't set out to change the world, just do the next best thing.  Every day."  It's good advice.

I am off to put a boot in doubt's face, and do my next best thing.



Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-obryant/acts-of-kindness




1 comment:

Hey, what did you think of what I had to say today? Leave me a comment and we'll interact a little.